Mexico LGBT Tourism increases 8% annually. In an interview with Milenio the president of the National Association of Commerce and Tourism LGBT of Mexico (Cancotur), Mariano Osores, said that in the last seven years Mexico LGBT Tourism increases 8% annually and it is expected to continue at this rate in the future. There are many reasons for this growth, first, because Mexico is gay friendly country in terms of legal issues such as Federal Anti-discrimination Law, laws in support of the LGBT community such as the Regulatory Law of Mexico City allowing gay marriages and limited adoption, as well as legal organizations such as the National Council to Prevent Discrimination (Conapred). The most important gay travel destinations in Mexico are CdMx, Puerto Vallarta, Cancun, Oaxaca, Puebla, Morelos and Coahuila. approximately 5.6 percent of the gross domestic product (GDP) of tourism is comes from the gay segment. He also commented that on average these travelers have a stay of three nights-four days and an economic benefit of $700 US Dollars,15 percent more than the traditional tourist. “In Latin America there are 615 million inhabitants, 42 million of them are LGBT consumers, which generate 65 billion USD of activity.
Luis Villaseñor, Director of Promotion and Public Relations of the Tourism Trust of Puerto Vallarta, said Puerto Vallarta has established itself as a benchmark in Mexico LGBT tourism centered in the romantic zone where all the gay bars, restaurants, and hotels are located. He also commented that Puerto Vallarta has 12 hotels marketing to the LGBT community: Almar Resort Luxury All Suites & Spa, Hacienda Escondida, Blue Chairs Resort by The Sea, Hotel Mercurio and Piñata PV. Puerto Vallarta has always been a major LGBT tourism destination for travelers from the United States and Canada.
Carlos Mackinlay, Secretary of Tourism of Mexico City, noted that gay men seek more of an experience of entertainment, fun and shopping, while lesbian women prefer more culture and adventure. In Mexico City, there are innumerable activities for the LGBT traveler, such as the Mix Festival, which is a month of film activities and sexual diversity in different venues, in addition to the Ministry of Culture organizing another event called Diverso, where the gay pride night is organized. Mackinlay said they are close to releasing an LGBT travel guide in Spanish and English everything from city tours to bars and hotels. He commented that between 7 and 10 percent of all the tourists are from the LGBT segment, as well as 80 percent are national and the remaining 20 percent are foreigners.
Mariano Osores stated that one of the pending issues in Mexico LGBT tourims is the lack of companyee professional training so that there is a correct attention to the LGBT travelers.There is a lot of machismo, resistance to change, but little by little people understand that LGBT people have the right to be respected. Northern areas of Mexico are beginning to see gay medical tourism where patients are taken to perform procedures for sex change, breast implants or buttocks.