Puerto Vallarta successfully concluded participation in the recent 2022 IGLTA Annual Global Convention in Milan, Italy, where more than 550 delegates from 39 countries gathered. World leaders of the LGBTQ+ community met for four days to provide information and resources for travelers and expand tourism in the sector worldwide, demonstrating its significant social and economic impact. Puerto Vallarta has positioned itself as a tourist paradise of inclusion, respect, and hospitality for the entire LGBTQ+ community.
During this event, PV sought to strengthen ties with professionals in the industry and continue to encourage travelers all year. Here is a summary of Puerto Vallarta’s participation in the 2022 IGLTA event:
1. Participated in the Marketplace at UNA Hotels Expo Fiera Milano with more than 30 appointments with LGBTQ tour operators, travel agencies, travel advisors, and specialized media from the United States, Canada, Europe, and South America.
2. Attended workshops and conferences about responsible tourism, governmental and cultural challenges, marketing strategies based on new trends in the LGBTQ+ market, and inclusion of transgender and non-binary people in hospitality.
3. Sponsored two informative sessions distributing promotional material.
4. Participated in Media Networking, where they interacted with content creators and influencers, among other specialized media in the segment, information about the destination and possible collaborations were also shared.
PV tourism officials wanted to highlight the strengths of Vallarta as an LGBTQ+ destination.
1. The city is the only Mexican destination with a “gayborhood,” the Romantic Zone, which has almost 100 businesses, including hotels, restaurants, nightclubs, boutiques, and spas that are safe and welcoming the gay traveler.
2. The warm beach climate
3. Huge variety of gay events during the year; including the Nuestro Orgullo festival within the framework of Vallarta Pride, BeefDip, and Bearadise Bear Week.
4. Many fabulous restaurants
5. More than 50 unique outdoor activities
6. Excellent air connectivity to the United States, Canada, Europe, and South America.
Puerto Vallarta was the first Mexican destination to join IGLTA in 2013 when the Puerto Vallarta Tourism Trust designed a specific campaign to promote the LGBTQ market with partnerships with GLAAD, GMHC (Gay Men’s Health Crisis), and Marriage Equality. Since then, Vallarta has received multiple recognitions from organizations and the media worldwide, listing the city as the leading destination in Latin America for LGBTQ+ tourism and named the city the second international beach destination for gay travelers.