American Airlines Airfare Deals
For many decades, American Airlines has been a pioneer in implementing fair-minded policies and practices for its lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) customers and employees. American Airlines has consistently held the highest possible ranking on the Human Rights Campaign’s Corporate Equality Index and remains the most gay-friendly of all U.S. airlines through its generous partnerships with the LGBT community, as well as its loyalty and respect for customers, employees and shareholders, and unflagging commitment to diversity.
American Airlines “We know that all passengers, including gays and lesbians, bisexuals and transgender people, have many choices when it comes to travel. We want your loyal business and we will work to earn it.”
Here is some of their LGBTQ policies and practices.
• First major airline to implement same-sex domestic partner benefits (2000). Offers equal health and
travel benefits to same-sex partners of LGBT employees.
• First major airline to implement both sexual orientation (1993) and gender identity (2001) in its
workplace nondiscrimination policies.
• First major airline to endorse the Employment Non-Discrimination Act (2008) as well as the Tax
Equity for Health Plan Beneficiaries Act (2009), to treat taxation of health insurance benefits for
domestic partners equally with married spouses.
• First major airline to have a company-recognized LGBT employee resource group – GLEAM.
Formed in 1994, GLEAM’s mission is to work with management and to reach out to allies and other
employee groups to embrace the principles of fairness, acceptance and diversity in all company
policies and programs.
• First major airline to launch a dedicated LGBT-specific website complete with comprehensive LGBT
event calendar, consumer newsletter and booking engine, www.aa.com/rainbow (November 2006)
and first LGBT site www.aavacations.com/rainbow for booking leisure and vacation travel to gaywelcoming destinations (November 2005.)
• Admirals Club members are eligible to purchase “spousal” memberships for their domestic partners
on an equal basis with heterosexual married couples.
See the complete list here. american airlines gay travel